Wednesday, October 05, 2011

An Intern Looking for Work!

Yup, its almost done.  The MDiv that is.  After 7 years starting with an undergrad I'm not ready to be let loose on the unsuspecting public.

It also took me 7 years to figure out a portion of what I'm called to do.  It seems that preaching is a good fit - as long as I can do it in a context - that is I'm not crazy on doing tons of supply preaching  - I prefer to preach into a situation.

On the other hand, supply preaching gives me an opportunity to use my other "gift" which is to preach prophecy.  Not prophecy in the secular understanding of fortune telling but rather taking in the big picture and offering  a word of comfort or warning based on God's perspective (to the best of my ability ;).

But I'm also knee deep in other stuff right now so it may be a time to take a breath.  I've applied for a part time role but haven't heard anything and in the meantime C is working is butt off in a good job with lousy pay and I am working on getting mother-in-law assessed for nursing home.  The car is on its last legs.  My brother is a house guest who may be here for awhile.  God has been good to us and is teaching me (forcing me) to learn to rely on Him more and less on what we used to have as a security.  Losing the well paying, full benefits job has been tough on C and me but we are doing well.

So I'll try to keep the blog light and hopefully it will be reflective of a normal person who just happens to be called to ministry and also happens to be one very mixed up regular Joe (or Jane, I guess).

I've also come to realize that my quirky humour is not appreciated by all people.  I think God has a tremendous sense of humour - I think when patience runs low it relys on humour - then it turns to smiting.  Humour is the tension of the huge gap between reality and perfection.  The prophet in me just can't help pointing out how feeble our attempts at grand living are!


No comments: