Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Age of Entitlement or Why Your Hot Chocolate Will Now Be Served Lukewarm

So I'm in McDonald's getting breakfast.  This guy comes up to the counter with 2 cups and 2 individual little bowls of milk.  He says  "This is too hot.  I burned my tongue" and looks at the server as if she is personally responsible for his burnt tongue and is awaiting resolution.

I notice that he is using a straw.  What kind of hot beverage do you drink with a straw?  I'm thinking they must have made a mistake and put a hot beverage when he asked for a cold one.

The server asks what he order and he explains hot chocolate - but its too hot.  The server says "Oh you wanted chocolate milk".  She turns to tell the original server that the order was done wrong.  He interjects that he did want hot chocolate just that this is too hot and it burned his tongue.  The original server explains that is why she gave him two saucers of milk to add to cool it down. 

He doesn't want milk.

The other server offers to put ice in it.

He doesn't want ice.

He wants a new one made warm.

The server explains that there is no way to control the temperature of the hot chocolate because the machine automatically heats the milk so that its hot.  But she can add some cold milk when she makes it if he agrees.

He doesn't agree but doesn't disagree either.  He seems to be leaving the door open incase when she remakes it it is still too hot.

Two servers trying to please one customer with different offers which are rejected is ridiculous.  I turn to him and say "You do know you are in McDonald's?".  He says "that's not the point".

Actually it was the wrong point and I realized after I sat down and hoped he came over to bitch me out.  The point is you are a young man.  You can take the lid off and let the hot chocolate cool to its perfect temperature.  You can add ice.  You can add cold milk.  You can stop being a crybaby 6 year old and man up.  It is time to take responsibility for yourself and your desires.  It is not the underpaid staff's responsibility to customize their menu to suit your straw sucking needs.  In short - put on your big boy underwear.

This my dear readers is why we can't have nice things.  Someone will always find it too hot or too cold.  It used to be we understood that we were customers and that the customers is always right BUT we also understood that we would not ask for things which were not realistic.  I expect my Big Mac to be put together properly and not slopping around in the container and I have no problem with someone holding up the line to have one properly prepared.   But we do not have the right to demand off menu items.  Lukewarm chocolate is not on the menu.

Now I will admit a prejudice.  If this had been an old cranky man I would have let it go.  My father was cranky before his time and as you can see I'm not far behind...



No comments: